Jan's Homemade Chicken Soup
- 2 large
- boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs or combo, about 2 lbs.
- 1 large
- sweet onion
- 1 tsp
- kosher salt
- 1 tsp
- coarse ground black pepper
- bay leaves, dried
- celery ribs, medium chop
- 1 Tbsp
- dried parsley (fresh is best, then make it 3t finely chopped)
- 1/2 tsp
- tarragon, dried
- 4 large
- carrots, cut into coins
- 2 qt
- boxed, low sodium chicken broth
- bag egg noodles (optional)
How to Make Jan's Homemade Chicken Soup
- 1Place chicken breast in a large stock pot; add enough water to just cover the chicken half the way. Add bay leaves. Your goal is to “poach” the chicken for 20 min. or until there is no pink in the inside of the chicken. Poaching is the only way to have tender chicken. Do not boil or brown chicken.
- 2Remove chicken to a plate and either shred or cut into small cubes, your choice. You will add the chicken back later.
- 3Strain the Bay Leaf infused broth through cheesecloth lined fine mesh strainer and return poaching liquid to pot. This will remove the Bay Leaves and chicken “scum”.
- 4Sauté onions in fry pan in 2 T of olive oil till caramel color, about 20 minutes (this will give unbelievable taste and color to the broth),add celery and carrots and sauté for a few minutes more.
- 5Add sautéed onions, carrots, celery, parsley, tarragon, salt and pepper, cut up chicken pieces and boxed broth to the poaching liquid in the large pot.
- 6Bring to boil, and add noodles if using. I don’t use rice or noodles to keep the soup low carb.
- 7Cook until noodles are done.
- 8Put left-overs into freezer containers for the next time the bug bites!!!
- 9I live to cook, Jan Fanning