Jackie's Tofu and Chicken Arroz Caldo
- 1 1/2 lb
- chicken. (i like to use boneless, skinless chicken to make it healthier; but it's usually made with regular chicken pieces cut up).
- 2 Tbsp
- cooking oil
- cube of chicken bouillon
- 1 1/2 c
- uncooked calrose rice
- 1 l
- of water
- 2 Tbsp
- 1 clove
- garlic (minced)
- 1/2 tsp
- black pepper
- 1 medium
- onion (minced)
- eggs, hard boiled
- 1 c
- minced green onions
- chunks of ginger sliced thinly
- 3 Tbsp
- kalamansi lemons
- package of extra firm tofu cut into squares (as much or as little as you want.)
- 2 Tbsp
- cooking oil (to fry tofu separately)
- 1/2 clove
- garlic sliced thinly (for frying and using as garnish) *optional
How to Make Jackie's Tofu and Chicken Arroz Caldo
- 1In a large pot, heat oil and sauté garlic, onion, and strips of ginger.
- 2Sprinkle in black pepper and bouillon cube.
- 3Add chicken and brown.
- 4Add patis and rice. Stir it around, cooking the rice a little, then slowly pour in water. Let it come to a boil.
- 5Let the soup simmer until the rice softens and cooks. If you want to, throw in the hard boiled eggs. (Some people slice the hard boiled eggs and others slice them up. Others don't put the hard boiled eggs in at all.)
- 6Sprinkle in the saffron. If you don't feel like it's the color you want, you can add in a little more to give it a deeper color.
- 7While the rice is simmering, heat oil in a separate pan and fry tofu squares. (You can add some salt and pepper to the tofu if you want). Brown the sides of the tofu and garlic. I LOVE it with the garlic!!
- 8Scoop into serving bowls and garnish with garlic, green onions, tofu, and kalamansi.