Homemade Chicken Soup
FOR MAKING THE STOCK
5 lbwhole chicken, cut into pieces, saving all bones and skin
12 ccold water
1onion, peeled and cut in half
2carrots, peeled and cut into thirds
3celery ribs with leaves, cut in half
3 clovegarlic, peeled and cut in half
1 tspdried thyme
INGREDIENTS FOR THE SOUP
2 csliced carrots
2 csliced celery
2 Tbspfresh chopped parsley or 1 tbsp. dried
2 cdry egg noodles (i use kluski noodles)
·salt and pepper to taste
How to Make Homemade Chicken Soup
- FOR MAKING THE CHICKEN STOCK
Wash the chicken pieces, and put in a 8 quart stock pot.
Reserving the white meat.
Add 12 cups of cold water, and remaining stock ingredients.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, skimming scum.
Cover and simmer, for 20 minutes, then add the reserved white meat. Cover, and cook until the white meat is tender, another 20 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, and remove the chicken from the pot.
Remove the meat from the skin and bones. Reserving meat, and returning the skin and bones to the stock pot.
Cover pot, and bring back to a simmer. Continue the simmer for 4 hours.
- After 4 hours, remove all bones, skin, and vegetables from the pot, and discard. Carefully, strain the stock, using cheese cloth, to make sure the stock is clear.
- INGREDIENTS FOR THE SOUP
While the stock is simmering, cut the chicken meat in bite size pieces. Refrigerate until ready to add to the stock.
Cut carrots, celery and parsley, add to strained stock and simmer until tender.
In a separate pot, prepare the noodles according to package directions.
- When vegetables are tender, and noodles are ready, add to stock pot. Carefully add chicken pieces. Salt and pepper to taste. Bring soup to eating temperature. Enjoy!
- NOTE: You can remove excess grease from the top layer, by laying a paper towel across the top. This tip works great!