Gram's Chicken Tortilla Soup
Rest in peace Gram 1/30/2014.
- 4-5 lb
- whole chicken
- fire roasted tomatoes
- ears of sweet corn
- 28 oz can black beans(can sub kidney)*for mom ; )
- large yellow onion
- dried pasilla peppers (poblano)
- 4 stalk(s)
- cloves of garlic
- 1/4 cup c
- cilantro, fresh
- 2 tsp
- chili powder
- 2 tsp
- garlic powder
- 1 tsp
- 2 tsp
- epazote or mexican oregano
- 1 Tbsp
- olive oil, extra virgin
- 1-2 Tbsp
- chicken bouillon (to taste only if stock needs fortifying))
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- monterey jack cheese (shredded)
- sour cream (dollop or drizzle when served)
- yellow or white corn tortillas (cut and fried into thin strips)
How to Make Gram's Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1In a large stock pot boil your whole chicken with the onion, carrot, celery, salt, pepper,and garlic until cooked through. Remove and set aside to cool. After cooling remove all meat, shred or dice and set aside in fridge. Check stock to see if the stock needs to be fortified(needs more chicken flavor) with bouillon. Strain The contents through a stainer so that all you left with is a rich broth.
- 2Roast Corn, Tomatoes, & Tomatillos until they have a nice char. Remove corn from the cob set aside.
- 3In your food processor put all veggies(except the corn), herbs, and spices blend into a fine puree and then add to soup stock. bring to a boil then reduce to simmer for 30-60 minutes. Depending on how thick you want it. You can also thicken with regular thickening agents to desired thickness. I use couple White or yellow corn tortillas in the veggie puree.
- 4When your stock has reduced to your desired liking add the corn, and beans. Simmer for another 10 minutes then add your shredded or diced chicken. once your chicken has warmed completely through you are ready to plate.
- 5Find whatever your favorite soup bowls are and ladle generous portions for each of your guests. Top with shredded Jack cheese and avocado chunks, then I put the sour cream in a squeeze bottle and drizzle around or over the cheese(you can also just put a dollop) and then top with the fried tortilla strips. Garnish with green onions or cilantro. Serve limes on the on the side for those who like. For extra spice you serve finely diced Serrano or jalapeno peppers. Enjoy!