Grammy's Rotisserie Chicken Soup
Angela (Grammy) Derby
1rotisserie chicken (separate meat from bones & skin-use bones & skin to flavor broth)
2 qtchicken broth (i use low sodium)
1/2 tspgarlic powder
1 pinchparsley, basil, and thyme (optional)
1 Tbspolive oil
1large onion, diced
2large carrots, peeled, cut in rounds & halved
2large stalks celery, sliced 1/4" thick
1/8-1/4 ctomato sauce (adds color & flavor)
·salt & pepper to taste
How to Make Grammy's Rotisserie Chicken Soup
- Bring the broth to a simmer in the large stock pot. While you wait for the broth and water to heat up, separate the rotisserie chicken meat from the skin and bones, setting the meat aside for later. Add the skin (optional) and bones to the broth, bring it back up to a simmer and allow it to simmer for about an hour.
- Strain broth through a colander into a large container; reserve broth and discard skin and bones. Return kettle to burner set on medium-high.
- Add oil, then onions, carrots and celery and seasonings. Sauté until soft, about 8 to 10 minutes. Add chicken, broth and sauce. Bring to a simmer. (Can be refrigerated up to 3 days in advance. Return to a simmer before adding the extras of your choice.) If you refrigerate it, any grease will congeal on the top and you can remove it. But, leave a little...adds flavor!
- Add the broth and bring the mixture back up to a simmer.
- Add your favorite noodles, simmering until they reach the desired tenderness.
- Chop the chicken and add it to the cooking noodles.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.