Grammy's Rotisserie Chicken Soup
Angela (Grammy) Derby
- rotisserie chicken (separate meat from bones & skin-use bones & skin to flavor broth)
- 2 qt
- chicken broth (i use low sodium)
- 1 qt
- 1/2 tsp
- garlic powder
- 1 pinch
- parsley, basil, and thyme (optional)
- 1 Tbsp
- olive oil
- large onion, diced
- large carrots, peeled, cut in rounds & halved
- large stalks celery, sliced 1/4" thick
- 1/8-1/4 c
- tomato sauce (adds color & flavor)
- salt & pepper to taste
How to Make Grammy's Rotisserie Chicken Soup
- 1Bring the broth to a simmer in the large stock pot. While you wait for the broth and water to heat up, separate the rotisserie chicken meat from the skin and bones, setting the meat aside for later. Add the skin (optional) and bones to the broth, bring it back up to a simmer and allow it to simmer for about an hour.
- 2Strain broth through a colander into a large container; reserve broth and discard skin and bones. Return kettle to burner set on medium-high.
- 3Add oil, then onions, carrots and celery and seasonings. Sauté until soft, about 8 to 10 minutes. Add chicken, broth and sauce. Bring to a simmer. (Can be refrigerated up to 3 days in advance. Return to a simmer before adding the extras of your choice.) If you refrigerate it, any grease will congeal on the top and you can remove it. But, leave a little...adds flavor!
- 4Add the broth and bring the mixture back up to a simmer.
- 5Add your favorite noodles, simmering until they reach the desired tenderness.
- 6Chop the chicken and add it to the cooking noodles.
- 7Season with salt and pepper to taste.