Creamy Chicken Corn Chowder
- whole chicken breast, seasoned and cooked
- 6 slice
- bacon, cut up
- 1/4 c
- diced onion
- 1/4 c
- finely grated carrot
- 2 Tbsp
- s & p, to taste
- 3 c
- chicken broth, low sodium
- 1 c
- 2 medium
- potatoes, peeled, and cut in 1/2" pieces
- 2 c
- frozen corn
- flour tortillas, 6" size, torn in small pieces
- 1 c
- shredded cheddar cheese
How to Make Creamy Chicken Corn Chowder
- 1Season chicken by rubbing with salt and pepper, or Mrs. Dash Table Blend. In a small skillet, cook chx breast over medium heat in some melted butter, until chicken is golden brown and cooked through. Allow chicken to cool a bit, then cut into 1" chunks. Set aside.
- 2In a large, heavy sauce pot, brown the bacon until almost crisp. Don't burn or overcook. Remove excess fat, leaving about 2 T. for sauteeing onions.
- 3Add diced onions & grated carrot to the bacon, and saute' for a few minutes, stirring constantly, until onion is translucent.
- 4Sprinkle two TBSP flour over the sizzling onions & bacon & carrots, and continue to stir well, to make a roux. Keep stirring for a couple of minutes, to allow roux to cook and turn SLIGHTLY brown. Season with salt and pepper.
- 5While stirring with a whisk, pour in chicken broth. Keep stirring, it will thicken slightly and you might get some lumps ....that's ok. Keep stirring with whisk, and add the milk, potatoes , cut-up chicken pieces, and corn. Do not boil, but bring everything back up to temp. Then turn down the heat to LOW.
- 6Tear the flour tortillas into small pieces and put into the soup. Stir well, and cover. Turn the heat very LOW. Let the soup cook for 20 mins., or so, stirring frequently, until potatoes are tender. The tortillas will make sort of a tiny 'dumpling' in the soup.
- 7Just before serving, toss in about a cup of shredded cheddar cheese, and stir well until melted. You can take a potato masher at this point and give a few pokes around in the soup, to break up SOME of the potatoes. This will thicken the soup, if you desire. Don't break up all of the potatoes ... you want some of those chunky pieces in your soup!
- 8Serve with a nice big hunk of chewy French bread, or some hot corn bread!