★★★★★ 1 vote5
1 largechicken with giblets
1 Tbspolive oil
2 largeonions, unpeeled
2-3celery ribs, with leaves
1 tspwhole peppercorns
1fresh parsley, handful
How to Make Chicken Stock
- Wash chicken, discard the liver and roughly chop the heart, gizzard and neck; add to hot oil in a deep soup pot. Over high heat, stir occasionally until cooked.
- Quarter the onion and add to the pot. Continue cooking until chicken is VERY brown, but not burnt. Add in 1 cup of water, and stir and scrape all of the brown bits from the bottom of the pot (deglaze).
- Roughly chop remaining veggies and add to the pot. Add the rest of the ingredients, including the chicken and water enough to cover. Bring to a boil, skim off any foam, set lid askew and reduce heat to simmer. Chicken will be done in about 1 hour.
- Remove it from pot, cool to touch. Remove meat to fridge; put skin and bones back into pot. Continue simmering 4-5 hours, adding more water when needed.
- Cool a bit before staining into a large bowl; put uncovered stock in fridge overnight. The fat will rise to the top and harden, you can then just lift it off easily. Underneath will be the vitamin-rich and delicious broth I was talking about. You can stretch it by adding water or canned broth. Freeze it in ice cube trays for insta-sauce!