★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 4 lb
- onion, stuck with 2 cloves
- leeks, halved lengthwise
- stalked celery, halved
- 2 tsp
- parsley sprigs
- garlic clove, unpeeled
- bay leaf
How to Make Chicken Stock
- 1In a kettle combine the fowl, the neck and the giblets, and 12 cups cold water, bring the water to a boil, and skim the froth.
- 2Add 1/2 cup cold water, bring the stock to s simmer, and skim any froth.
- 3Add the onion, the leeks, the carrots, the celery, the salt, and the parsley, thyme, garlic clove, and bay leaf and simmer the stock, skimming the froth for 2 hours.
- 4Remove the fowl from the kettle, remove the meat and skin from the carcass, and reserve the meat for another use.
- 5Chop the carcass, return it and the skin to the kettle, and simmer stock, adding boiling water if necessary to keep ingredients barely covered, for 2 more hours.
- 6Strain the stock through a fine sieve into a bowl, pressing hard on the solids, and let it cool. Chill the stock and remove the fat. The stock may be frozen.