1 galmilk ( i use fat free and it taste great)
1 mediumonion (yellow is what i use)
5 smallrusset potatoes (peeled)
2 largechicken breast (fresh or frozen)
How to Make Chicken Stew
- boil chicken (if frozen, thaw first), cut off any fat around chicken prior to boiling. [ My Mother in Law used Canned Chicken, this is up to you. If you choose canned chicken, you do not have to boil it.)
- chop onions... if you are not an onion fan (like myself) chop them very small and let them cook down a little longer before adding additional ingredients
- In separate pot (your Large Soup pot) combine chopped onion and one stick of butter, cook on medium
- while onions are cooking, peel and chop potatoes. the smaller you chop them the faster they will cook... try to make them all the same size so they cook evenly. Add them to the Soup pot that is cooking the onions. In addition add the 2nd stick of butter. Let these cook but stir them frequently.
Add Salt and Pepper at this point for the initial seasoning.
- At this point your chicken should be done cooking. Do not over cook chicken... you want it to have just turned white (NO PINK). pull the chicken out to cool so you can chop it in small pieces or shred it (up to you). add about 1/2 a cup of the chicken stock to the butter, onions, and potatoes. Continue to stir!!!
- Let the onions and potatoes cook while you chop or shred the chicken (this gives the onions time to cook down and potatoes time to soften up). add chicken once you are satisfied with onions and potatoes.
- pour in Milk. Stir continuously so the milk does not scorch. continue to add salt and pepper (to taste). turn up heat and add paprika for color and taste.
- stir soup often and let it boil down. check potatoes to confirm they are tender enough for you. continue to check for flavor to determine if you need more salt and pepper.