- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- one jumbo sweet onion, 1 pound, finely chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds fennel, two large
- 1 pound carrots
- 12 ounces yukon gold potatoes, two large
- one bay leaf
- 1 1/2 pounds bone in chicken thighs, skin removed
- 1 1/2 pounds bone in chicken breasts, skin removed
- 1 quart low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon packed fresh dill leaves
How to Make Chicken soup
- 1in a large skillet, heat oil on medium low. Add onion and 1/8 teaspoons salt
cook 15 minutes or until Golden Brown and tender, stirring occasionally.
- 2While onion cooks, trimmed and cut fennel into 1/4 inch thick slices. Cut carrots and three quarters lengthwise then into 3 inch long pieces. Cut potatoes into 1/4 inch thick half moons. Thinly sliced celery.
In a 6 quart slow cooker, evenly spread carrots, potatoes, fennel, celery, and Bay leaf. Arrange chicken pieces on top, pressing into vegetable; sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon each salt and freshly ground black pepper. Spread hot onion over chicken. Add broth, cover immediately with lid, and cook on low for six hours.
- 3Stir in dill. Transfer one third of vegetables, one chicken breasts and one chicken thigh to container, is another meal is desired. Refrigerate up to three days. Divide remaining vegetables among serving bowls. Remove meat from remaining chicken and divide among serving bowls. Stir 1/4 teaspoons salt into soup. Ladle over vegetable chicken mixture. Makes four servings