Chicken, Sausage & Shrimp Gumbo by Mellina
★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 4 c
- hot water
- beef bouillon, cubes
- chicken thighs
- mccormick garlic sea salt grinder, to taste
- freshly coarsely ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 c
- vegetable oil
- 1 lb
- andouille sausage
- 1/4 c
- flour, sifted
- celery stalks, chopped
- whole garlic head, minced
- green bell pepper, chopped
- onion, chopped
- jalapeno pepper, fresh, finely chopped
- 1 tsp
- crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- 5 Tbsp
- 1/4 c
- plus 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 1/3 bunch
- flat leaf parsley, end stems removed, tops chopped coarsely
- 14 oz. can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1/2 lb
- frozen sliced okra
- green onions, divided
- 12 oz
- fresh shrimp, peeled deveined
How to Make Chicken, Sausage & Shrimp Gumbo by Mellina
- 1Add the beef bouillons to the hot water and whisk together. Set aside. (don't worry if it's not completely dissolved, it will dissolve while the soup is cooking)
- 2Clean, skin and debone the chicken thighs. Cut into 1" pieces. Season the chicken with garlic sea salt and pepper. If there is still meat on the bones, season that too, you can snack on that once it's cooked while you're waiting for the gumbo to finish cooking or you can save it to make chicken stock.
- 3Heat the oil in a heavy bottomed Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Cook the chicken until browned on both sides and remove (continue to cook the bones until meat is completely done). Don't worry about the crust forming at the bottom of the Dutch oven that seems to be burning, it's not. Add the sausage (with the bones is ok) and cook until browned, then remove. Move to the next step after the bones are done.
- 4Again leaving all that good crust at the bottom, sprinkle flour over the grease left in the pan. Add 2 tablespoons of margarine and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until brown, about 7 minutes.
- 5Turn heat to low and melt the remaining 3 tablespoons margarine. Add the onion, garlic, green pepper, celery, jalapeno and crushed red pepper flakes (if using), season with garlic sea salt and pepper and cook for 10 minutes. Add Worcestershire sauce and parsley. Cook, while stirring frequently, for another 10 minutes. (You can start to scrape some of that crust from the bottom of the pan, but not don't work too hard, it'll loosen up when you add more liquid)
- 6Add hot water with bouillons, chicken and sausage to the Dutch oven. Stir and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and stir again. Cover and let simmer for 45 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.
- 7Add tomatoes and okra, stir well. Cover and simmer for another 55 minutes.
- 8Add shrimp and 4 of the chopped green onions, white and green parts, stir well and cook for another 5 minutes.