☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
2 largecarrots, peeled and chopped
2 largecelery ribs, chopped
1turnip, peeled and chopped
1 largeparsnip, peeled and chopped
1/4 cparsley, chopped
3 cchicken stock
1 lbitalian sausage, sweet and cut into 1" chunks
1 cpasta shells
·"just a pinch" of salt
·"just a pinch" of pepper
How to Make Chicken and Zucchini Soup
- Place the chicken in a 6-quart pot.
- Add all the ingredients through the parsnip, plus the parsley sprigs, lemon slice, peppercorns, and 1 teaspoon salt.
- Add the chicken stock and enough water to cover the chicken by 2 inches.
- Heat to boiling, skimming any residue as it gathers.
- Reduce the heat and simmer, partially covered, 1 hour.
- Remove the chicken from the stock and set the stock aside.
- Allow the chicken to cool enough to handle, then carefully remove the meat from the bones and cut it into bite-size pieces.
- Cover and reserve.
- Return the bones and skin to the stock.
- Return it to the boil; reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, 45 minutes.
- Strain the stock into another pot, pressing the vegetables gently with the back of a spoon to release their juices.
- Meanwhile, saute the sausage pieces in a lightly oiled heavy skillet until well browned, about 8 minutes.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Add the sausages to the stock.
- Heat to boiling; reduce the heat.
- Simmer, uncovered, skimming any fat that rises to the surface, for 20 minutes.
- Add the pasta shells; cook 10 minutes longer.
- Add the zucchini and the reserved chicken; cook 5 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, and sprinkle with the chopped parsley.