Chicken and Vegetable Soup1
By Just A Pinch KitchenCrew
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
- chickens, 4 pounds each cut in quarters
- 10 c
- water, cold
- medium carrots, thinly sliced
- onions, yellow, medium
- 1 small
- celery head, peeled and finely diced
- 2 large
- leeks, green and white, bottoms seperated
- 1/2 Tbsp
- peppercorns, whole black
- bay leaf
- bay leaf
- 1 Tbsp
- 1 Tbsp
- butter, unsalted
How to Make Chicken and Vegetable Soup
- 1COMBINE CHICKENS AND WATER in a 5-quart stockpot.
- 2Cover, bring to a boil over high heat.
- 3Reduce heat to low and skim off the scum that accumulates on the surface.
- 4Remove chicken breast quarters and set aside.
- 5Add 2 cups carrots, 1 cup onions, 2 cups celery, green leek tops, peppercorns, bay leaves, thyme and salt.
- 6Cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
- 7Remove cover, replace the chicken breasts and continue to cook for another 25 minutes.
- 8Meanwhile, slice the white parts of leeks into 1/4-inch rounds and wash well to remove any sand.
- 9You should have about 1 cup.
- 10Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat and add the leeks and the remaining carrots, onions and celery
- 11Cover and cook gently until vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes.
- 12Remove the chicken from the liquid and place on a platter.
- 13Strain the liquid through a fine strainer into a large plastic container and discard the herbs, spices and the cooked soup vegetables.
- 14Skim and discard any fat from the surface of the broth.
- 15Remove and discard chicken skin.
- 16Remove the meat from the bones, dice it and set aside.
- 17Place bones in an airtight freezer container and save for making stock.
- 18Immediately prior to serving, transfer broth to a pot and heat, covered, over high heat.
- 19Heat chicken and vegetables, covered, in 350 oven until hot.
- 20Decorate each soup bowl with some heated diced vegetables and chicken.
- 21Pour the hot broth into a pitcher or soup tureen and pour the soup into the garnished bowls at the table.
- 22VARIATION: You may substitute 1 1/2 ts -Fresh thyme leaves, OR 1/2 ts -Dried thyme in place of 4 sprigs fresh thyme.