Chicken and Vegetable Soup1
By Just A Pinch KitchenCrew
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
2chickens, 4 pounds each cut in quarters
10 cwater, cold
4medium carrots, thinly sliced
2onions, yellow, medium
1 smallcelery head, peeled and finely diced
2 largeleeks, green and white, bottoms seperated
1/2 Tbsppeppercorns, whole black
1 Tbspbutter, unsalted
How to Make Chicken and Vegetable Soup
- COMBINE CHICKENS AND WATER in a 5-quart stockpot.
- Cover, bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to low and skim off the scum that accumulates on the surface.
- Remove chicken breast quarters and set aside.
- Add 2 cups carrots, 1 cup onions, 2 cups celery, green leek tops, peppercorns, bay leaves, thyme and salt.
- Cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Remove cover, replace the chicken breasts and continue to cook for another 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, slice the white parts of leeks into 1/4-inch rounds and wash well to remove any sand.
- You should have about 1 cup.
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat and add the leeks and the remaining carrots, onions and celery
- Cover and cook gently until vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the liquid and place on a platter.
- Strain the liquid through a fine strainer into a large plastic container and discard the herbs, spices and the cooked soup vegetables.
- Skim and discard any fat from the surface of the broth.
- Remove and discard chicken skin.
- Remove the meat from the bones, dice it and set aside.
- Place bones in an airtight freezer container and save for making stock.
- Immediately prior to serving, transfer broth to a pot and heat, covered, over high heat.
- Heat chicken and vegetables, covered, in 350 oven until hot.
- Decorate each soup bowl with some heated diced vegetables and chicken.
- Pour the hot broth into a pitcher or soup tureen and pour the soup into the garnished bowls at the table.
- VARIATION: You may substitute 1 1/2 ts -Fresh thyme leaves, OR 1/2 ts -Dried thyme in place of 4 sprigs fresh thyme.