Chicken and Sausage Gumbo
The key to good gumbo is a thick ans well seasoned juice and the roux will make this a rich and delicious meal.
This dish is always twice as delicious the second day so I usually make it the day before I serve it.
- chicken thighs, skinless and boneless
- celery stalks, chopped
- 3 bunch
- green onion, chopped
- 1 medium
- yellow onion, chopped
- 1/2 bunch
- fresh parsley, chopped
- smoked saugage rings, chopped
- 2 c
- dark roux, home made or jarred
- 24 oz
- chicken broth
- 1/4 c
- powdered shrimp
- bell pepper, chopped
- 4 clove
- garlic, chopped
- 4 Tbsp
- tony's seasoning (or other cajun seasoning)
How to Make Chicken and Sausage Gumbo
- 1Boil chicken in chicken broth. Once cooked remove. Keep broth at a rolling boil and add roux a few tablespoons at a time. Let this simmer for 15 minutes.
- 2Begin adding all of the chopped vegetables and seasonings. Continue to season to taste as you cook. The powdered shrimp should be added a little bit a t a time.
- 3Add chicken and sliced sausage and continue simmering for an hour or so. The consistency of the juice should become think enough to coat the back of your stirring spoon.
- 4Serve over rice with potato salad.
Of course the chicken and sausage can be substituted for shrimp and crab, or chicken a okra. This just depends on what kind of gumbo you prefer.