Chicken and Noodle Soup with Vegetables1
By Just A Pinch KitchenCrew
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
- 5-6 lb
- 3 qt
- onion, stuck with 2 cloves
- 1/2 c
- onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 c
- carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 c
- green beans, chopped
- 4 oz
- egg noodles
- 1 c
How to Make Chicken and Noodle Soup with Vegetables
- 1Place the whole chicken or the chicken pieces in a heavy 6-quart kettle with the water, onion stuck with cloves, leek, carrot, 1 tablespoon salt and peppercorns.
- 2Bring to a boil and skim off any scum that forms on top.
- 3Reduce the heat and simmer for 2 hours.
- 4Correct the seasoning.
- 5If you are using chicken parts, cook until they are tender 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- 6Remove the chicken, skim excess fat from the broth, and then remove the vegetables. (If you are not serving the soup until the next day, it will be easier to remove the fat if the broth is cooled and then chilled).
- 7Pour the broth into a container, wash out the kettle, and then return the broth to it.
- 8Add the cut vegetables, the meat from the legs and thighs diced thoroughly.
- 9Bring to a boil again and cook just until the vegetables begin to tenderize and are pleasantly firm.
- 10Add the noodles (increase the amount if you like a very thick soup) and peas, and boil for 5 to 9 minutes or until they are cooked.
- 11Serve in heated soup plates or bowls and sprinkle with some chopped parsley.
- 12This deliciously filling soup is ideal for a Sunday supper, accompanied by buttered toast or hot rolls, perhaps followed by a salad or some excellent cheese and a bottle of red wine.
- 13Note: Other vegetables, such as spinach, cabbage, and zucchini, as well as mushrooms, may be added to the soup during the final cooking.