Brown Soup Stock
Some people call it "bone soup" and it is actually good for your bones, too!!
This is from The Woman's Day "Collector's Cookbook" which they printed in the magazine on May 13, 1980. It was in my mother's recipe drawer.
How to Make Brown Soup Stock
- 1In a shallow roasting pan bake bones, 1 carrot, and 1 onion, in preheated 400 F oven for 30 minutes or until browned.
- 2Place bones and vegetables with remaining ingredients in slow cooker. Cook on low for 7 to 9 hours.
- 3Strain the stock. Cool; pour into freezer containers, label and freeze.
- 4Makes about 6 cups stock, lasts in freezer for up to 3 months.
- 5NOTE: You can do the same with the left over turkey carcass at Thanksgiving and you don't have to roast it first, because you already have. Just throw it in the slow cooker with the other ingredients. I have a friend who swears that this is one of his favorite soups from childhood.