- one fryer chicken, about 3 and one-half pounds
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup rice
- 4 large eggs
- 3 fresh lemons, juiced
How to Make AVGOLEMONO (CHICKEN SOUP WITH EGG AND LEMON)
- 1Put the chicken in a large pot and cover with water. Cook over medium heat, skimming the foam that rises to the surface, until tender, about 1 hour. Transfer the chicken to a plate and season with salt and pepper to taste. Add the rice to the chicken broth and season with salt. Cook until soft, about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- 2Beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until almost stiff peaks form. Add the yolks, one at a time, lightly beating after each addition. Add the lemon juice and beat 1 minute. Remove a cup of the warm broth from rice mixture and slowly beat into the egg mixture until blended. With a wooden spoon, gently stir the egg mixture into soup (do not stir vigorously).
- 3There should be a layer of egg foam resting on the top of the soup. Serve the chicken alongside the soup.
Serves 4 to 6