Autumn Chicken 'n' Dumplings1
By Just A Pinch KitchenCrew
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
5 lbchicken legs and thighs, skinned and defatted
4 Tbspolive oil
4 largeleeks, cut in 1" slices
4celery stalks, sliced
2apples, tart and cut into wedges
3 cchicken broth
1 capple juice
2 Tbspdill, chopped
2 cbiscuit mix
How to Make Autumn Chicken 'n' Dumplings
- In large plastic or paper bag, coat chicken with flour in 2 batches, shaking off excess; Place in single layer on wax paper.
- Warm 3 tablespoons of the oil in 8-quart dutch oven over medium heat; Add chicken in batches so pan is not crowded.
- Cook 15 to 20 minutes per batch, or until browned on all sides; Remove to large plate.
- Warm remaining 1 tablespoon of oil in same pan over medium heat.
- Add leeks; cook 5 minutes, or until lightly browned, stirring to scrape up brown bits.
- Add carrots, celery and apple wedges; cook 4 minutes.
- Add browned chicken, broth, juice, dill, salt and pepper.
- Cover; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes.
- While chicken cooks, make dumpling batter (recipe follows).
- Dumplings: Mix 2 cups biscuit mix and 2/3 cup milk until soft dough forms.
- Drop dough by spoonfuls onto stew (do not drop directly into liquid).
- Cook uncovered over low heat 10 minutes; Cover and cook 10 minutes longer.