Autumn Chicken 'n' Dumplings1
By Just A Pinch KitchenCrew
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
- 5 lb
- chicken legs and thighs, skinned and defatted
- 1/2 c
- 4 Tbsp
- olive oil
- 4 large
- leeks, cut in 1" slices
- carrots, sliced
- celery stalks, sliced
- apples, tart and cut into wedges
- 3 c
- chicken broth
- 1 c
- apple juice
- 2 Tbsp
- dill, chopped
- 2 tsp
- 2 c
- biscuit mix
- 2/3 pinch
How to Make Autumn Chicken 'n' Dumplings
- 1In large plastic or paper bag, coat chicken with flour in 2 batches, shaking off excess; Place in single layer on wax paper.
- 2Warm 3 tablespoons of the oil in 8-quart dutch oven over medium heat; Add chicken in batches so pan is not crowded.
- 3Cook 15 to 20 minutes per batch, or until browned on all sides; Remove to large plate.
- 4Warm remaining 1 tablespoon of oil in same pan over medium heat.
- 5Add leeks; cook 5 minutes, or until lightly browned, stirring to scrape up brown bits.
- 6Add carrots, celery and apple wedges; cook 4 minutes.
- 7Add browned chicken, broth, juice, dill, salt and pepper.
- 8Cover; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes.
- 9While chicken cooks, make dumpling batter (recipe follows).
- 10Dumplings: Mix 2 cups biscuit mix and 2/3 cup milk until soft dough forms.
- 11Drop dough by spoonfuls onto stew (do not drop directly into liquid).
- 12Cook uncovered over low heat 10 minutes; Cover and cook 10 minutes longer.