This can be made with chicken instead of beef....whatever you have on hand or as you prefer.
You can also just put the tomato paste in without sautéing it first -- sautéing it though makes the flavor richer. It is worth the extra step.
- 1 1/2 lb
- ground beef, fried w/onions, drained
- onion, diced
- 1 large
- can crushed tomatoes, with juice
- 4 oz
- tomato paste
- 2-4 c
- beef broth
- 1 can(s)
- pitted black olives, sliced
- 1 can(s)
- corn, drained (you can use baby corn, if you'd like)
- 1 Tbsp
- chili powder (or to taste)
- sour cream, garnish
- grated cheese, garnish
- green onions, sliced (garnish)
- tortilla chips, broken up
How to Make Tortilla Soup
- 1After frying the ground beef with the onion and draining, add the beef mixture to a stockpot. With the heat on medium, push the beef and onions to the edge of the pot and in the center add the tomato paste. Stir the tomato paste so it does not burn; after a few minutes stir it into the beef mixture -- making sure to scrap up the bits on the bottom. Add crushed tomatoes, beef broth, corn, black olives and chili powder. Cook to a boil; simmer 20 minutes.
- 2Serve topped with sour cream, cheese, onions and tortilla chips. (I like to put the tortilla chips in the bottom of my bowl and ladle the soup over it, then top with the other garnishes.)