Sweet and Sour Cabbage Borscht
Note: A fresser, in yiddish is someone who really enjoys their food.
- 2 lb
- boneless chuck roast, cut into 2 or 3 inch chunks
- 2-4 qt
- water, 2 for crockpot method, 4 for stovetop method
- 1 Tbsp
- 1 large
- head of green cabbage, about 3 lbs.
- 1 1/2 c
- ketchup (trust me, it works great)
- 1-6 oz
- can tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp
- 1/2 tsp
- (or more) freshly ground pepper
- 1-2 Tbsp
- fresh lemon juice ( to taste)
How to Make Sweet and Sour Cabbage Borscht
- 1Crockpot method: Core your cabbage and slice to ¼-½ thickness. Dump everything except lemon juice, (make sure you only add the 2 quart amount of water) into a large crockpot and cook, on low 10-12 hours or on high, 4-6 hours. Turn off heat and let rest for several hours. Skim off most of the fat that rises to the top. Even better refrigerate overnight and remove the congealed fat and then reheat on the stove (never reheat something in a crockpot). Add the lemon juice to the flavor you like. This is wonderful with homemade bread of your choice.
- 2Oven method: combine meat, water and salt in a 5-quart pot. Bring to a simmer over high heat. Lower heat and simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour. After the hour, add your cored and sliced (see above) cabbage, ketchup,tomato paste,and sugar to the pot. Return to a simmer and cook, covered, for 2 hours longer, till meat is falling apart. Turn off heat and let rest for several hours. Skim off most of the fat that rises to the top. Even better refrigerate overnight and remove the congealed fat and then reheat adding the lemon juice to your taste. This is wonderful with homemade bread of your choice.