Simple Corned Beef Soup
My twin sister and her family likes to add frozen okra, lima beans and hot sauce to theirs and insists it tastes a lot like brunswick stew. They also serve it with crushed saltine crackers.
★★★★★ 1 vote5
1 can(s)corned beef
1 can(s)whole kernel corn
1 can(s)stewed tomatoes (diced)
1raw onion (diced)
·butter or oil
·salt and pepper to taste
How to Make Simple Corned Beef Soup
- Open the cans of corn and stewed tomatoes. DO NOT DRAIN! Pour into a medium size saucepan. Add 1 cup or more of water (depending on how thin you like your soup) and set aside.
- Saute the diced onion in a little butter or oil until just crisp tender and starting to turn clear. Add to the saucepan with the corn and tomatoes.
- Either shred or dice the corned beef into bite size pieces and add to the saucepan with everything else. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bring the soup to a light boil then turn heat down to a slow simmer. Lightly simmer about 8 to 10 minutes adding more salt and pepper if needed.
- Let cool a few minutes before serving so it doesn't burn anyones mouth. Best served with crushed saltine crackers. Also tasty with a few drops of hot sauce added at the table right before eating.