Silky Tomato Bisque
Maggie May Schill
★★★★★ 1 vote5
2 Tbspolive oil
4 cpureed tomatoes, (fresh if you can do it yourself)
1 cau jus, from beef roast (or beef stock/veggie stock)
3 mediumcarrots, peeled and diced
4 clovegarlic, minced
1 ccelery, chopped
1/2 call purpose flour
1/2 cbutter, cubed
1 tspwhite pepper
1/2 cfresh basil, minced (or 1 teaspoon of dried basil)
1 pinchred pepper flakes
·salt to taste
How to Make Silky Tomato Bisque
- Set your burner to medium.
- In a soup pot, or medium sauce pan add your olive oil. get your oil hot, but not beyond its smoking temperature.
- Add your garlic and celery. Cook uncovered for 5 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add your carrots and cover the pan. Pour in your au jus and let it cook for 10-15 minutes.
- Pour your tomato puree in the pan.
- Add bay leaf, basil, pepper flakes, salt and white pepper and stir. Cover pan and let cook for about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile; in a small sauce pan melt butter. Once butter is completely melted. whisk in your flour until you have created a smooth roux.
- Remove bay leaf from the pan.
- With an emergent blender, blend entire bisque smooth.
- Pour in the roux into the bisque. Mix until smooth (If bisque gets too thick, use a splash of whole milk.)