Satisfying Beef & Vegetable Soup
Andy Anderson !
The prep is fairly straightforward, and the 1.5 hours of cooking time is spent mostly simmering the beef and veggies.
1 1/2 qthot water (2.4 liters)
2beef bullion cubes
2 Tbspolive oil, extra virgin, plus one additional tablespoon per batch of beef
1 1/2 lbboneless beef chuck, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 largeyellow onion, chopped
3 mediumcarrots, sliced on the bias, about 3/4 inch thick
2 mediumcelery stalk, sliced on the bias, bout 3/4 inch thick
4 mediumred potatoes, cut into wedges, four per potato
28 ozcanned crushed plum tomatoes, with juice
2 Tbspfresh flat-leafed parsley, chopped
1/4 tspsalt, table variety, or to taste
1/4 tspfreshly ground black pepper, or to taste
How to Make Satisfying Beef & Vegetable Soup
- Dissolve the 2 beef broth cubes in a bowl containing 1.5 quarts (2.4 liters) of hot water, and then set aside.
- In a good size pot, over medium-high heat, warm 2 Tbs. of the olive oil, until it is shimmering, and produces wisps of smoke.
The pot should be big enough to eventually hold the broth, and all the other ingredients… Cast iron, if you have it.
- Add another tablespoon of olive oil, and proceed to the second batch. Repeat until all the beef has been browned, and reserved on a plate.
- Add another tablespoon of olive oil to the pot and reduce heat to medium.
- Add the reserved beef and accumulated juices from the plate into the pot.
- After an hour has passed, add the potatoes, the tomatoes and their juice and stir to thoroughly combine the ingredients.
- Raise the heat and return the soup to a boil, and then reduce back down to a simmer.
- Continue to simmer until the beef and potatoes are tender, this should take about 20 minutes.
- Add in the parsley and season the soup with any additional salt and pepper, if necessary.
- Chef's Tip: If you like your carrots and celery a bit more on the crunchy side, then before step 10, remove the veggies from the pot and reserve in a bowl. Perform steps 10 and 11. Thirty minutes into the simmering of the beef, add the reserved veggies, and then continue with step 12, and move forward.