Satisfying Beef & Vegetable Soup
Andy Anderson !
The prep is fairly straightforward, and the 1.5 hours of cooking time is spent mostly simmering the beef and veggies.
- 1 1/2 qt
- hot water (2.4 liters)
- beef bullion cubes
- 2 Tbsp
- olive oil, extra virgin, plus one additional tablespoon per batch of beef
- 1 1/2 lb
- boneless beef chuck, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 large
- yellow onion, chopped
- 3 medium
- carrots, sliced on the bias, about 3/4 inch thick
- 2 medium
- celery stalk, sliced on the bias, bout 3/4 inch thick
- 4 medium
- red potatoes, cut into wedges, four per potato
- 28 oz
- canned crushed plum tomatoes, with juice
- 2 Tbsp
- fresh flat-leafed parsley, chopped
- 1/4 tsp
- salt, table variety, or to taste
- 1/4 tsp
- freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
How to Make Satisfying Beef & Vegetable Soup
- 1Dissolve the 2 beef broth cubes in a bowl containing 1.5 quarts (2.4 liters) of hot water, and then set aside.
- 3In a good size pot, over medium-high heat, warm 2 Tbs. of the olive oil, until it is shimmering, and produces wisps of smoke.
The pot should be big enough to eventually hold the broth, and all the other ingredients… Cast iron, if you have it.
- 5Add another tablespoon of olive oil, and proceed to the second batch. Repeat until all the beef has been browned, and reserved on a plate.
- 8Add another tablespoon of olive oil to the pot and reduce heat to medium.
- 10Add the reserved beef and accumulated juices from the plate into the pot.
- 12After an hour has passed, add the potatoes, the tomatoes and their juice and stir to thoroughly combine the ingredients.
- 13Raise the heat and return the soup to a boil, and then reduce back down to a simmer.
- 14Continue to simmer until the beef and potatoes are tender, this should take about 20 minutes.
- 15Add in the parsley and season the soup with any additional salt and pepper, if necessary.
- 18Chef's Tip: If you like your carrots and celery a bit more on the crunchy side, then before step 10, remove the veggies from the pot and reserve in a bowl. Perform steps 10 and 11. Thirty minutes into the simmering of the beef, add the reserved veggies, and then continue with step 12, and move forward.