This was served to us with homemade sweet potato biscuits and warm spiced cider, in an outdoor, Fall decorated/candlelight deck setting.. Was very lovely and VERY delish!!
- 2 lb
- beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 Tbsp
- vegetable oil, divided
- 1 c
- 3 large
- potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 medium
- carrots, sliced
- 1 large
- green bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium
- onion, chopped
- 2 tsp
- 1/2 tsp
- black pepper
- 2 Tbsp
- beef bouillon granules
- 1 can(s)
- (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- pumpkin (10-12 pounds)
How to Make Pumpkin Stew
- 1In a Dutch oven, brown meat in 2 tablespoons vegetable oil.
- 2Add water, potatoes, carrots, green pepper, garlic, onion, salt, and pepper. Cover and simmer for 2 hours.
- 3Stir in bouillon and tomatoes.
- 4Wash pumpkin; cut a 6- to 8-inch circle around top stem. Remove top and set aside; discard seeds and loose fibers from inside.
- 5Place pumpkin in a shallow sturdy baking pan. Brush outside of pumpkin with remaining vegetable oil.
- 6Spoon stew into pumpkin and replace the top.
- 7Bake at 325* for 2 hours or just until pumpkin is tender (Do not overbake)
- 8Serve stew from pumpkin, scooping out a little pumpkin with each serving.