PEGGI'S ITALIAN SOUP/ WITH OR WITHOUT CHEESE
Peggi Anne Tebben
- 2 lb
- hamburger or deer burger
- 4 Tbsp
- 5 medium
- red potatoes, with skins on, cubed into bite size pieces
- 1 small
- head of cabbage -cut into large pieces
- 1 large
- onion, cut into thick slivers
- stalk of celery, cut into bite size pieces
- 6 medium
- carrots, cut into bite size chunks
- pieces fresh okra, cut into bite size pieces (seasonal & optional)
- fresh mushrooms, cut in half
- 1 qt
- tomato juice
- 1 qt
- stewed tomatoes, italian-style
- 5 clove
- minced garlic
- salt & pepper , to taste
- 3 Tbsp
- italian seasoning (may use more)
- 2 lb
- velveeta cheese, cut in cubes
How to Make PEGGI'S ITALIAN SOUP/ WITH OR WITHOUT CHEESE
- 1In 4 T. butter brown onions, mushrooms, celery & garlic in skillet until just soft. Salt & pepper to taste.
Doing this gives it a better flavor than just throwing it all in a pan & boiling it.
- 2In another skillet, brown burger.
- 3In 5 qt. dutch oven, bring to a boil,in the tomato juice, the potatoes, cabbage, carrots & okra & continue cooking on medium-high heat. Add as little water as possible to just cover them. Boil 10 minutes.
- 4Add the stewed tomatoes, mushroom mixture & burger mixture to potato mixture & continue cooking on low heat for about 20 more minutes.
- 5Turn off heat & add Italian seasoning & the Velveeta. Just make sure all is hot. Do not cook very long or things will mush. All together, I would only cook it about 30 minutes, at the most.
- 6You can omit the cheese if you want , but adding creates a whole new flavor. The picture shown is one bowl with cheese & one bowl without. I also use home canned tomato juice & stewed tomatoes, so if you use store bought, use lg cans of each.