Orange Beef and Barley Stew1
By Just A Pinch KitchenCrew
- 2 Tbsp
- vegetable oil
- 1.5 lb
- beef stew meat, cut into 1 1/2" chunks
- medium carrots, cut into 2 inch pieces
- medium onions, each cut into 6 wedges
- garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 can(s)
- plum tomatoes, 28 ounces
- 1 can(s)
- beef broth
- 1 c
- dry red wine
- orange peel pieces, 3x1 inch
- bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp
- 3/4 c
How to Make Orange Beef and Barley Stew
- 1Preheat oven to 350.
- 2In 5-quart dutch oven over medium-high heat, in 1 tablespoon hot vegetable oil, cook beef chunks, half at a time, until browned; remove to bowl.
- 3In same dutch oven in 1 more tablespoon hot vegetable oil, cook carrots and onions until browned.
- 4Add garlic, cook 1 minute, stirring.
- 5Return meat to dutch oven; add tomatoes with their liquid, beef broth, red wine, orange peel, bay leaf and salt.
- 6Over high heat, heat to boiling stirring with spoon to break up tomatoes.
- 7If you like, transfer mixture to deep 5-quart casserole; cover and bake 45 to 60 minutes longer until beef and barley are tender.
- 8Discard bay leaf.