Old Fashion Beef Stew
1 lblean stewing beef, trimmed and cut into bite-size pieces
2 Tbspall purpose flour
2 tspvegetable oil
2 largeyellow onions, thinly sliced (about 3 cups)
2 cmushrooms, sliced
2garlic cloves, minced
2 tsptomato paste, italian
2 cbeef broth
4 ccarrots, sliced (i use baby carrots & slice in 1/2)
2 csmall red potatoes, thinly sliced
1 cfresh sliced green beans (slice into 1-inch pieces)
1 Tbspcorn starch
·salt & pepper
How to Make Old Fashion Beef Stew
- Coat beef with flour, shaking off excess.
- In large nonstick pot, heat oil over medium-high heat; add beef and saute until browned, about 6 minutes.
- Remove and place on plate.
- Add onions and mushrooms to drippings; saute for 6 minutes.
- Add garlic; saute for 1 minute;.
- Pour off fat and then return beef to pot.
- Stir in tomatoe paste and broth.
- Add enough water to cover meat; bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to low; simmer until beef is tender, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Skim off foam.
- Add carrots, potatoes, and beans; Cover partially; simmer for 15 minutes.
- In small bowl, mix cornstarch and cold water; stir into stew.
- Increase heat and boil uncovered for 1 minute.
- Season with salt & pepper to taste.