Mini Meatball Soup
Easy soup to make and can be done and ready to eat in less than an hour.
This is one of the soups that my husband likes to fill his bowl.. mounded up.
Food Network: Rachael Ray
- 2 Tbsp
- olive oil, extra virgin
- peeled carrots, chopped
- celery stalks, chopped
- 1 medium
- onion (i use 1/2 onion), chopped
- bay leaves
- salt and pepper
- 1 lb
- ground beef or pork (italian sausage), or combined
- egg, beaten
- 2 clove
- garlic, minced
- 1/2 c
- parmigiano-reggiano, grated
- 1/2 c
- plain bread crumbs
- 1/2 tsp
- ground nutmeg
- 6 c
- chicken broth or stock
- 2 c
- 1 1/2 c
- dried pasta, egg noodle or your choice
- 1 lb
- triple washed fresh spinich, coursley chopped
- or use kale
How to Make Mini Meatball Soup
- 1In a deep pot, over medium heat, add oil, chopped carrots, celery, and onion and bay leaves.
(I use my mini-processer and finely chop carrots and onions)
Season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook veggies for 5 or 6 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 2While veggies cook, combine meat, egg, garlic, grated cheese, bread crumbs, salt, pepper, and nutmeg in a seperate bowl.
- 3Uncover your soup pot and add broth and water to the pot. Increase heat a bit and bring soup to a boil.
When soup boils, reduce heat a bit and start to roll meat mixture into small balls, dropping them straight into pot.
You are making meat dumplings that will cook in the broth.
When you are done rolling the meat, add the pasta to soup and stir.
Cover and simmer soup for 10 to 20 minutes.
Remove the 2 bay leaves.
When pasta is tender, stir in chopped spinich in batches.
When spinich is wilted, soup is done.
Adjust your seasonings if needed.