Hominy Meatball Stew
She wrote in her description " For a less spicy version,substitute plain canned tomatoes for the Mexican blend " . But since I wanted just a bit of spice, I used one can of Ro-Tel and one can of fire roasted diced tomatoes with garlic.This recipe calls for making your own meatballs, but if you are in a hurry I'm sure thawed frozen ones would work as well.Submitted to " ZAAR " on February 24th., 2010.Re-posted to Just A Pinch 6/29/12
- 1 large
- egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 c
- yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 c
- chopped onion
- 1/2 tsp
- salt & pepper
- 1 lb
- ground beef
- 2 Tbsp
- canola oil
- 2 15 can(s)
- cans yellow hominy, rinsed & drained
- 2 141/2 can(s)
- mexican -style diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 8 can(s)
- tomato sauce
- 2 c
- 1 1 1/4 oz
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
How to Make Hominy Meatball Stew
- 1In a large bowl, mix together the egg,cornmeal,onion, salt and pepper.
- 2Crumble beef over mixture and mix well.
- 3Shape into 3/4 inch balls ( about the size of a walnut ), and place in a large skillet over medium heat in which the 2 Tablespoons of oil has been added.
- 4Brown meatball in batches and drain
- 5In a dutch oven, combine the hominy,tomatoes, tomato sauce, water and taco seasoning.
- 6Cover and bring to a boil, reduce heat and add meatballs.
Cover and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes or until meat is no longer pink
Read more: h