Hominy Meatball Stew
She wrote in her description " For a less spicy version,substitute plain canned tomatoes for the Mexican blend " . But since I wanted just a bit of spice, I used one can of Ro-Tel and one can of fire roasted diced tomatoes with garlic.This recipe calls for making your own meatballs, but if you are in a hurry I'm sure thawed frozen ones would work as well.Submitted to " ZAAR " on February 24th., 2010.Re-posted to Just A Pinch 6/29/12
1 largeegg, lightly beaten
1/2 cyellow cornmeal
1/4 cchopped onion
1/2 tspsalt & pepper
1 lbground beef
2 Tbspcanola oil
2 15 can(s)cans yellow hominy, rinsed & drained
2 141/2 can(s)mexican -style diced tomatoes, undrained
2 8 can(s)tomato sauce
1 1 1/4 oz1 envelope taco seasoning
How to Make Hominy Meatball Stew
- In a large bowl, mix together the egg,cornmeal,onion, salt and pepper.
- Crumble beef over mixture and mix well.
- Shape into 3/4 inch balls ( about the size of a walnut ), and place in a large skillet over medium heat in which the 2 Tablespoons of oil has been added.
- Brown meatball in batches and drain
- In a dutch oven, combine the hominy,tomatoes, tomato sauce, water and taco seasoning.
- Cover and bring to a boil, reduce heat and add meatballs.
Cover and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes or until meat is no longer pink
Read more: h