Hearty Vegetable Beef Soup -- Oh So Flavorful
My personal choice is a pre-roasted Chuck Roast, due to its flavorful fat content, cooked to the point of falling apart. Then chilled overnight to make it easy to cube the size of the "Dice" used in the Game of "Monopoly". Or just slightly larger.
I usually purchase a three or four pound Chuck Roast and after roasting reserve half of it for soup.
As for the vegetables, the frozen mixed variety is my choice (Soup Variety), for their garden fresh taste. Caned mixed veggies are another choice. Either way I add plenty of fresh celery and onions as well, because I enjoy them.
I'll post my Chuck Roast recipe. I prepare it in an Oven Bag.
1 lbpre-roasted chuck roast cubed
3 can(s)beef broth (see note)
1 pkg16 oz, frozen mixed veggies (soup variety)
2 ccelery sliced and diced
2 conion sliced and diced
1 1/2 Tbspdried parsley
·salt and pepper to season
1 can(s)12 oz. sliced mushrooms drained
1 ccooked barley or
1 ccooked rice or
2 ccooked elbow macaroni
1 can(s)7 oz. tomato sauce
2 ccabbage sliced and diced size of a nickle
1 cturnip or rutabaga diced
1 can(s)diced potatoes or cup of fresh diced potatoes
How to Make Hearty Vegetable Beef Soup -- Oh So Flavorful
- I use pre-roasted chuck roast for this soup because of its texture and flavor. When you get a piece of beef on the spoon you can savor it. You could use any beef of your choice, Even hamburger. But -- I've stated my choice. Nicely cubed.
- I chill the cooked roast overnight so that it can be cubed nicely.
- You can prepare in a large soup kettle or the crock pot. I like the convenience of the crock pot.
- Add the three cans of beef broth to the crock pot. Cube the beef. Add all other ingredients. Cook on high for one hour. then on low for 2 to 3 hours. Use salt and pepper lightly, and adjust near end of cooking time. I'm a low salt cook. Folks can add salt and pepper when served.
- If you are fond of certain veggies use more of them. If you want a tomato based soup add the can of tomato sauce at the start. It's delicious with or without the tomato sauce. You could pick two or so of the options.
- Serve with a nice French or Italian Bread or Baguette.
Serve and enjoy. This freezes well. It is hearty enough that a little additional water or beef broth can be added when reheating from the freezer to make up for the ingredients absorbing the broth.
- Enjoy!! Happy Cooking, Gary
- NOTE: The reserved juices from the roast with fats removed is an excellent addition, However I usually use the juices for gravy for the roast beef dinner or for hot beef sandwiches. To de-fat the juices chill in the fridge and the fats will congeal on top and can be removed easily.The remaining stock is loaded with flavor and would be an excellent addition to the soup.