Hamburger Cabbage Soup
3 can(s)Tomatoes 15 oz. diced whole or sliced
1 1/2 lbHamburger
1/2Medium to large head of Cabbage
1 TbspOregano, dried
1 TbspBasil, dried
1/2Medium Onion diced
dash(es)Salt and Pepper
2 can(s)Water 15 oz. each
How to Make Hamburger Cabbage Soup
- Cook Hamburger in frying pan and chop, leave coarse. Add chopped onion near end of cooking. Drain hamburger and reserve and utilize 3 or 4 tablespoons of the juices.
- In 4 quart soup pot put in Tomatoes and one 15 oz. can of water. Chop raw cabbage to about the size of a nickle and add to tomatoes. Add Oregano and Basil, or substitute 2 tablespoon Italian Seasoning. Add 2 tablespoons Butter. Add cooked Hamburger and Onions and dash of Salt and Pepper.
- Cook and low simmer for one hour. Add additional can of water 15 minutes before end of cooking. Test Cabbage for tenderness, when tender soup is done.
- If you like Cabbage this is a good Chili alternative. It's always a hit at our house.
- Note: The ingredients could be prepared in a a crock pot after Hamburger is cooked.