Gallecian Caldo Verde ala Cubana
1/2 lbbeef or pork chorizo or linguiça sausage
3/4 lbkale or collard greens
1/4 colive oil, extra virgin
2 largeyellow onions, chopped
1 1/4 lbpotatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
4 clovegarlic cloves, finely minced
6-7 cchicken stock
2 tspkosher salt, plus more, to taste
·freshly ground pepper, to taste
·extra-virgin olive oil for serving
How to Make Gallecian Caldo Verde ala Cubana
- Bring a saucepan three-fourths full of water to a boil over high heat. Prick the sausages with a fork and add to the boiling water. Boil for about 5 minutes. Using tongs, transfer the sausages to a cutting board and, when cool enough to handle, slice them. (You may discard the sausage-flavored water or reserve it for making the soup.)
- Rinse and drain the greens, then remove any tough stems. Working in batches, stack the leaves, roll up the stack like a cigar, and cut crosswise into very, very thin strips. Set aside
- In a large soup pot over medium heat, warm the olive oil. Add the onions and sauté, stirring occasionally, until tender and translucent, about 10 minutes. Increase the heat to medium-high, add the potatoes and garlic and sauté, stirring often, until slightly softened, about 5 minutes. Add the water and 2 tsp. salt, reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer until the potatoes are very soft, about 20 minutes.
- Scoop out about 2 cups of the potatoes and mash well with a potato masher or fork. Return them to the pan, add the sliced sausages and simmer until the sausages are cooked through, about 5 minutes more. Add the greens, stir well and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 3 to 5 minutes. Do not overcook; the greens should be bright green and slightly crunchy. Season with salt and pepper.
- To serve, ladle the soup into warmed bowls and drizzle each serving evenly with extra-virgin olive oil. Fresh bread to accompany this delicious soup.