2 Tbspunsalted butter
·olive oil, extra virgin
2 qtbeef stock
3garlic cloves, 2 minced 1 halved
1/2 Tbspdried thyme
1/4 cred wine
1 cshredded gruyere cheese
How to Make French Onion Soup
- Slice the onions and chop two of the garlic cloves
- heat butter and a little olive oil in a soup pot on medium heat
- add the onions, bay leaves, and thyme and cook the onions over medium heat until the onions are golden brown and very soft, about 25 minutes
- add the garlic and cook for five more minutes
- add the red wine and allow to reduce for 10 mintues. Preheat broiler at this time.
- Slice baguette into 4 pieces and toast under broiler. Rub halved garlic cloves on toasted bread and set aside.
- add the beef stock while the bread is toasting and bring to a boil then reduce to simmer. Allow to simmer for 10 minutes to let the flavors combine.
- Ladle the soup into oven proof bowls, top with a piece of toasted bread and 1/4 of the grated gruyere cheese.
- Place bowls under the broiler and allow cheese to become brown and bubbly.