Corned Beef and Cabbage Soup1
By Just A Pinch KitchenCrew
- 2 lb
- corned beef
- 7 c
- beef flavor bouillon cube or 1 teaspoon instant beef bouillon
- 1/2 c
- onions, coarsely chopped
- garlic cloves, very thinly sliced
- whole cloves
- new potatoes, unpeeled, quartered
- carrots, julienned
- 6 c
- very coarsely chopped cabbage
How to Make Corned Beef and Cabbage Soup
- 1In 5 quart dutch oven, combine corned beef and water.
- 2Bring to a boil.
- 3Reduce heat; cover and simmer 15 minutes.
- 4Skim off any scum that rises to the surface.
- 5Add bouillon cube, onion, garlic, peppercorns, cloves and bay leaf.
- 6Simmer covered an additional 3 to 4 hours or until meat is tender.
- 7Remove meat from broth; cool.
- 8Skim fat from broth.
- 9Cut meat into bite-size pieces; return to broth.
- 10Stir in carrots and potatoes.
- 11Bring to a boil.
- 12Reduce heat; cover and simmer 15 minutes.
- 13Stir in cabbage.
- 14Simmer covered an additional 15 minutes or until all vegetables are tender.
- 15Remove peppercorns, cloves and bay leaf.
- 16**If corned beef is packaged with its own spice packet, substitute packet for peppercorns, cloves and bay leaf, if desired.