Cathy's Beef Stew
- 3 lb
- boneless beef sirloin roast trimmed and cut into cubes
- olive oil, extra virgin (about 2x around the pan)
- 2 large
- onions, minced
- 1 lb
- button mushroom, quartered
- 6 medium
- carrots, peeled and sliced into rounds (or about 2 each)
- 4 large
- garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 Tbsp
- tomato paste, italian
- 1 c
- red wine
- 3 c
- chicken broth (i make my own)
- 5 sprig(s)
- fresh thyme minced, (or about 1 tsp of dried)
- 3 small
- bay leaves
- 6 medium
- red potatoes, quartered
- 1 c
- frozen peas
- enough flour to cover your meat well
How to Make Cathy's Beef Stew
- 1Season the meat with salt and pepper and flour meat and brown in 2 batches. Transfer meat to a plate and repeat until all the meat is browned.
- 2Add onions until translucent. Add mushrooms and cook until they start to brown. Add carrots and continue to sautee veggies.
- 3Add garlic and thyme and 3 bay leaves. Stir until everything is mixed well and coated. Add about 2 Tablespoons of tomato paste and stir in until it becomes fragrant.
- 4Add 1 cup of wine. Make sure to scrape up all the browned bits from the bottom of the pot. Add the 3 cups of chicken broth. Simmer....
- 5After an hour I add the potatoes, stir well. Simmer...
- 6The last 1/2 hour I added the peas. I also thickened the stew with Wondra. You will have to judge how thick you want it) I just added about 2 tablespoons of wondra to about 1/2 cup of chicken broth I left aside and added it to the stew.
- 7In total I simmered my stew on the stove for about a total of 3-4 hours.
- 8Serve over buttered noodles, rice, or just eat it plain... either way its really good.