2 lbbeef brisket or shank
3-1/2 qtwater or beef stock
8 ozonion, sliced thin
8 ozleek, white part and about 1/2 of green cut julienne
8 oz ozcabbage shredded
2-2 1/2cans of beets/6 medium beets
4 oztomato puree
ttsalt and pepper
How to Make Borscht
- Simmer the beef in the water or stock until tender. Remove the cooked beef from the stock and cut it into small dice.
- Measure the broth, and if necessary, add water to bring it back up to 3 qt.
- Return the meat to the broth.
- Heat the butter in a heavy pot. Add onion, leeks, and the cabbage. Cook slowly in the butter for about 5 minutes.
- Drain the beets and save the juice. Grate beets on a course grater, or chop them fine. Add the mixture of onions, leeks, cabbage, beets, beet juice, tomato puree, vinegar, and sugar to the broth. Bring to a boil and simmer until vegetables are tender.
- Season to taste with salt, white pepper, and more vinegar, if desired. Serve each portion with a spoonful of sour cream.