Beef Vegetable Soup with Barley
- 12 oz
- beef stew meat
- carrots, peeled and sliced
- sliced celery stalks
- 1 c
- chopped yellow onion
- garlic cloves, minced
- 5 c
- beef broth or stock
- 1 can(s)
- spicy tomato juice
- 1 tsp
- worcestershire sauce
- 3/4 tsp
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- 6 oz
- medium mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 1/4 c
- uncooked barley
- 1 c
- fresh or frozen peas
- freshly grated parmesan cheese for topping
How to Make Beef Vegetable Soup with Barley
- 1In a large soup pot over high heat, combine beef, carrots, celery, onion, garlic, stock, tomato juice, worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil.
- 2Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- 3Add mushrooms and barley and simmer, covered, 10 minutes longer.
- 4Stir in peas and cook, uncovered, until all ingredients are tender, about 10 minutes longer.
- 5Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.