"Beef Barley Soup Homestyle"
Variations: I use frozen Peas and potatoes cubed in bite size pieces, or Left over corn, I may have. I can just dump all my left overs in here that work. That's how I clean out my refer at the same time.
- 1 lb
- lean beef stew meat. cut in 1/2 or leftover roast beef, (don't forget toss in your gravy also in this pot)
- 1 large
- onion, chopped and diced
- 2 ribs
- celery, chopped
- 2 med
- fresh carrots, diced
- 3/4 cup
- pearl barley, uncooked
- 1 bay
- 6 cups
- beef broth
- season with salt and pepper to taste
- 1 clove
- garlic, crushed
- 2 TBS
- worchestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup
- diced red and green bell pepper added last hr of cooking.
- at the end, toss in a few frozen peas for color
How to Make "Beef Barley Soup Homestyle"
- 1In crock pot, combine beef, onion, celery, carrots, barley, bay leaf, & beef broth.
Note: you can dice large chunks or smaller, Your choice.
- 2Cook on Low 6-8 hrs . . Remove Bay leaf.
or Med 4-5 hrs.
Add; Bell peppers last hr of cooking time.
- 3Taste, . .(Remove Bay leaf) add more seasonings if necessary to your taste buds. serve with hot rolls and plenty of melted butter. Or Fresh Homemade garlic bread, fresh out of the oven.. . . enjoy!
- 4If too thick add a little more Beef broth. This soup thickens over time, and cooking. FREEZES very well.
NOTE: . . on Variations;
If I use potatoes I add them about 1/2 way thru the cooking time.
If I use frozen corn or peas, or peas and carrots. I dump these in the last 1/2 Hr of cooking time adds great color. . . enjoy