White Bean and Chorizo Soup-MW
Originally posted at grannysdelights.info/...ge-stew.html
1 lbwhite beans, dried (great northern, navy)
1 lbchorizo (mexican sausage) or italian sausage
1 largeonion, diced
1bell pepper, diced
3 clovegarlic, minced
5 cvegetable broth*
1 can(s)(6 oz) tomato paste
How to Make White Bean and Chorizo Soup-MW
- Look and pick over beans. Place into a pot or container - add water to a level 2 inches above beans. Soak beans overnight.
- If all you found was link sausages, then remove sausage from casings. Crumble sausage into saucepot and cook over medium heat until about halfway done - breaking meat up as you cook.
- Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, for about 8 more minutes (until onion turns golden). Add garlic and bell pepper and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Drain soaked beans and add to sausage mixture. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat and simmer for 1 1/2 - 2 hours or until beans are tender.
Season with salt and pepper prior to serving.
For the beans: 4 cans cannelini or great northern beans (reduce simmer time to about 30-45 minutes)
For the vegetable broth: 1-46 oz can V-8* vegetable juice.
- Author's Note: You could easily put everything into a crock pot after soaking beans and browning sausage/onions. Cook on LOW for 7-10 hours. Season with salt/pepper before serving.
- As pictured: I cooked 1 pound great northern beans in my pressure cooker with 6 cups of water (HIGH pressure - 30 minutes). To the undrained beans I added 1 - 12 oz bag of frozen diced onion, 1 - 10 oz bag of frozen diced green bell pepper, 1 - 46 oz can of V-8* vegetable juice, 1 packet Swanson Vegetable Flavor Boost, 1 heaping tablespoon pre-minced garlic, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 tsp pepper and the cooked, crumbled sausage. I brought it up to a light boil and dropped the temperature to low - then let it simmer, covered, for about 45-60 minutes.
*V-8 is a registered trademark of the Campbell Soup Company.