★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 1 1/2 c
- dried lima beans
- or 1 qt canned or cooked dried lima beans
- 1 large
- onion, coursely chopped
- 1/4 c
- butter - real butter
- 1 1/2 - 2 lb
- tomatoes, chopped
- (or 28 oz canned tomatoes)
- 1 qt
- broth or stock, chicken or vegetable
- 1 Tbsp
- tamari sauce (soy sauce, braggs liquid aminos...)
- several dash(es)
- tabasco sauce (hot sauce)
- salt & pepper to taste
- optional, fresh parsley or cilantro, chopped, for topping
How to Make Tomato-Lima Soup, crockpot recipe
- 1For dried beans, sort and rinse then soak overnight in 6 cups water (I bring them to a boil and simmer 2-3 minutes before leaving to soak). In the morning, drain and rinse, add 6 cups water. Simmer on stove 1-2 hours until tender - OR - cook on high in crockpot 2-4 hours until tender (I bring them to a boil on the stove first, they cook much quicker). Drain. Your lima beans are now ready to go in a recipe or into the fridge for later use.
- 2Saute onions in butter - real dairy butter - butter makes all the difference to this soup!
- 3Add sauteed onions and all that butter, tomatoes, broth, beans and seasonings to the crockpot.
- 4Cook on High for about 4 hours or on Low about 8 hours, it should be bubbling away.
- 5You may blend half the soup in a blender or with an immersion blender. (I don't.)
- 6Adjust the seasoning - add another tsp tamari sauce and dash of tabasco, or lots of tabasco, maybe a bit more salt & pepper. You can even add a little more butter.
You can keep it on low or warm once it is done.
- 7Garnish with parsley or cilantro, or not. Enjoy!