1 lbpolish kielbasa
1 can(s)turnip greens
1 pkgdry knorr vegetable soup mix
1 can(s)great northern beans
1 can(s)navy beans
1 boxlow sodium chicken broth
1 tsptabasco sauce
1 tspgarlic powder
dash(es)black pepper, to taste
How to Make Swamp Soup
- Dice & cook onion in a non-stick 5 qt. pot until transparent and tender. (You may want to dice a clove of garlic and add here instead of the garlic powder)
- Slice the polish kielbasa & cut into quarters and brown/cook in with the onions, stirring occasionally for 5 mins. or so.
- Add rest of ingredients, stir, and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer and cook until heated through and the green peas in the dry Knorr soup mix are cooked through. (Just taste one every few minutes to tell).
- Great with cornbread & you can add more chicken stock, if desired~also, you can add more beans as I do when we eat it the next day! This is also just as good or better the 2nd day! I have also added a can of pinto beans, but we like the navy & northern the best. I have also used fresh turnip greens, but canned is just as good and you can add a can of mixed greens or collards or just about anything & this is still GREAT soup!
- **** Please note: Do NOT add salt to this as the dry soup mix has enough salt in it already & you may oversalt it, also the beans/turnip greens/etc. are usually already salted. Substituting turkey or chicken sausage works great with this too.
*I always double this recipe and make additions too!