Split Pea and Ham Soup
4 csmoked ham, cubed
1 lbdried split peas
1 mediumonion, chopped
2 mediumcarrots, peeled and cut in 1/2 inch pieces
1 stalk(s)celery, diced
1/2 tspthyme, dried
1/8 tspgarlic powder
How to Make Split Pea and Ham Soup
- Place water and peas in a Dutch oven. Bring to a boil. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Cover and let stand 1 hour.
- Stir in ham, onion, salt and pepper into peas.
- Heat to boiling. Reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer until peas are tender about 1 hour.
- Skim fat off the top if necessary.
- Stir in carrots, celery, garlic powder and thyme. Bring to a boil again. Then reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally until carrots and celery are tender. About 45 minutes.