Soupe Aux Pois (Pea Soup)
Vicki Butts (lazyme)
From Traditional Quebec Cooking by Micheline-Mongrain-Dontigny.
1/2 lbsalted pork, or 1 ham bone
1 lbdry yellow peas
1 largeonion, chopped
1/2 ccelery, chopped (with leaves)
1/4 cfresh parsley
1 tspdried savory
·salt, to taste
10 ccold water
How to Make Soupe Aux Pois (Pea Soup)
- Wash peas and soak overnight in cold water. Rinse peas and pour into a large pot.
- Add water and the rest of the ingredients to the peas, bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 3 hours until the peas become very soft.
- Remove salted pork or ham bone.
- For a creamier consistency, puree half of the soup in a blender or a food processor. Return the puree into the soup and season to taste.
- This soup can be frozen for 6 months.