★★★★★ 1 vote5
1 1/2 lbpotatoes
1 1/2 cblack-eyed peas (dry)
1/2 lbcollard greens
·salt and pepper
How to Make Potato and Black-Eyed Pea Soup
- *Use low-salt chicken, turkey, or vegetable broth (made mine by boiling down a Thanksgiving turkey frame).
- **If you can't get andouille, use good Polish sausage. Collard greens should be washed, de-stemmed, and torn or cut to pieces before weighing, or you can use 1/2 of a 16-ounce bag of frozen greens.
- ***I like Yukon Gold potatoes. 1 1/2 pounds is 5 small to 3 large potatoes.
- ****1 1/2 cups dry beans = 3-4 cups cooked, or about 2 cans, rinsed and drained.
- If you are using dry beans, soak them first, either overnight or using the quick-soak method.
- Cut the sausage into bits--I quarter lengthwise and then cut into 1/4-inch slices--brown, and drain well.
- Soften onions in a little bit of the sausage drippings.
- Add broth. Add soaked beans and cook for an hour.
- Cut potatoes into 1-inch cubes and add to pot. I don't peel potatoes, but you can if you prefer.
- Cook until potatoes are soft. When they are soft, mash them against the sides of the pot with a wooden spoon and stir them into the broth to thicken it.
- Add collards and cook a little longer, until they have wilted.
- Season to taste. I use salt, pepper, and maybe some cayenne.