New Year's Day Black-Eyed Pea Soup1
By Just A Pinch KitchenCrew
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
- 2 c
- black-eyed peas
- 2 qt
- ham bone with trimmings
- onion, chopped
- bay leaf
- 1.5 tsp
- 1 tsp
How to Make New Year's Day Black-Eyed Pea Soup
- 1Wash the beans well in cold water several times, then place in a large, heavy stew pot and cover with water.
- 2Allow to soak overnight.
- 3The next morning (start early ~ beans like to take their time), pour off the soaking water, and ham bone, 8 cups of water, onion and seasonings.
- 4Put on the back of the stove and let simmer gently until beans are very tender, usually about 4 hours.
- 5Add more water if needed.
- 6Remove and discard ham bone.
- 7If the water looks a bit scant pour in 1-2 cups more.
- 8When beans are good and tender remove about a cupful of the beans and mash well with some of the bean liquid. (This can be done in a blender, of course).
- 9Return mashed beans to pot, taste for seasoning, and serve steaming hot over freshly cooked white rice.