New Year's Day Black-Eyed Pea Soup1
By Just A Pinch KitchenCrew
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
2 cblack-eyed peas
1ham bone with trimmings
How to Make New Year's Day Black-Eyed Pea Soup
- Wash the beans well in cold water several times, then place in a large, heavy stew pot and cover with water.
- Allow to soak overnight.
- The next morning (start early ~ beans like to take their time), pour off the soaking water, and ham bone, 8 cups of water, onion and seasonings.
- Put on the back of the stove and let simmer gently until beans are very tender, usually about 4 hours.
- Add more water if needed.
- Remove and discard ham bone.
- If the water looks a bit scant pour in 1-2 cups more.
- When beans are good and tender remove about a cupful of the beans and mash well with some of the bean liquid. (This can be done in a blender, of course).
- Return mashed beans to pot, taste for seasoning, and serve steaming hot over freshly cooked white rice.