★★★★★ 2 votes5
- ham bone
- 1 lb
- dried great northern beans
- 2 c
- sliced celery...include leaves
- 2 Tbsp
- minced garlic (jar type is fine)
- can tomato paste
- 1/2 lb
- thin spaghetti
How to Make Mom's Italian Bean Soup
- 1Rinse beans.
- 2Place ham bone and beans in 4-5 qt. pot and cover with water.
- 3Add all other ingredients except spaghetti.
- 4Simmer for 5-6 hours or until beans are tender. You can soak the beans overnight and reduce the cooking time but, I never seem to think that far ahead. Add water as necessary. I like a thicker soup so, I don't add much.
- 5Break spaghetti into one inch pieces and boil in a separate pot until aldente. Add to beans and serve.