MMM-MMM Good Red Beans & Rice Soup
Enjoy! This soup can be made in the crock pot, or in a kettle on the stove top. I usually serve this with cornbread or corn muffins.
6 slicedouble-smoked bacon, chopped ( i like to use the ends & pieces type. it is thicker cut and more meaty)
1 lbsmoked sausage, sliced thinly (any brand or variety)
1 cdiced onion
2 cdiced bell pepper
1 cdiced celery
2 tspcreole or cajun seasoning
2 tspminced garlic
5 cchicken broth (any variety, including homemade)
1 lbdried red beans, soaked overnight
4 ccooked rice ( i like jasmine rice)
1 tspliquid smoke flavoring
How to Make MMM-MMM Good Red Beans & Rice Soup
- To soak my beans, I first rinse them, then add to them about 8 cups water, bring them to a boil in a large pot, then turn them off, cover them, and ignore them overnight.
*TIP* When I cook my rice, I use the liquid from the soaked beans for the "water" (1 1/2 Cups rice to 3 Cups liquid).
- Brown the bacon till crisp, draining on paper towels. To about 1/4 cup of the bacon drippings, add the sausage, onion, bell pepper, celery, garlic, and seasonings. Saute' until the veggies are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Drain the beans, reserving the liquid, and return them to the pot. To the beans, add the chicken broth and the cooked sausage-veggie mixture, along with the cooked bacon and the Liquid Smoke.
Pour in the remaining reserved liquid from soaking the beans. I wound up with about 3 cups after using 3 cups earlier for the rice. Bring to a boil, then simmer until the beans are tender- about 2 hours or so. (If the broth has seemed to reduce too much, feel free to add a little more water to sauce it up.)
- To make in a crock pot, use the same directions, but realize it will take longer for the beans to become tender. (though it will free up your time to do other things)
- To serve, dish some of the cooked rice into your bowls, then ladle the bean soup on top. Enjoy!
- If you prefer this dish to be more traditional, rather than a soup, then add the rice to the pot after the beans are tender and allow to simmer another 5-10 minutes before serving.