Mexican Lentil Soup with Chorizo
6 ozchorizo (mexican sausage, mild or medium
2 cred lentils, rinsed
4tomatoes, diced or a can of diced tomatoes
1 largeonion, chopped
3 mediumcarrots, peeled and cut into small pieces
3 clovegarlic, finely chopped
5 1/2 cchicken broth
1/2 tspdried thyme
·kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 1/2 cwater, more as needed
·lime wedges and fresh cilantro for garnish
How to Make Mexican Lentil Soup with Chorizo
- FOR THE SAUCE:
Place the tomatoes and garlic in a blender with a cup of the broth. Mix until smooth and set aside.
For the soup:
- In a large pot, cook the chorizo over medium heat until well browned. (It will release some fat) About 8 minutes. Remove some of the excess fat from the pot leaving just one tablespoon.
- Add the carrots and onion; cook for about 5 minutes until soft.
- Stir in the tomato-garlic sauce and cook for about 8 more minutes.
- Now, is time to add the lentils, broth and water. Bring to a boil for a couple of minutes and then reduce the heat to a simmer. Add the thyme and bay leave. Simmer for about 40 minutes or until lentils are tender.
Note: Add some more water if soup gets to dry for your taste.
- Sprinkle with cilantro and serve with a wedge of lime.