Mexican Lentil Soup with Chorizo
- 6 oz
- chorizo (mexican sausage, mild or medium
- 2 c
- red lentils, rinsed
- tomatoes, diced or a can of diced tomatoes
- 1 large
- onion, chopped
- 3 medium
- carrots, peeled and cut into small pieces
- 3 clove
- garlic, finely chopped
- 5 1/2 c
- chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp
- dried thyme
- bay leaf
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 c
- water, more as needed
- lime wedges and fresh cilantro for garnish
How to Make Mexican Lentil Soup with Chorizo
- 1FOR THE SAUCE:
Place the tomatoes and garlic in a blender with a cup of the broth. Mix until smooth and set aside.
For the soup:
- 2In a large pot, cook the chorizo over medium heat until well browned. (It will release some fat) About 8 minutes. Remove some of the excess fat from the pot leaving just one tablespoon.
- 3Add the carrots and onion; cook for about 5 minutes until soft.
- 4Stir in the tomato-garlic sauce and cook for about 8 more minutes.
- 5Now, is time to add the lentils, broth and water. Bring to a boil for a couple of minutes and then reduce the heat to a simmer. Add the thyme and bay leave. Simmer for about 40 minutes or until lentils are tender.
Note: Add some more water if soup gets to dry for your taste.
- 6Sprinkle with cilantro and serve with a wedge of lime.