~ Meaty Black Eyed Peas ~ My Way
Any combination of your favorite pork cuts could be used in this recipe. This happened to be what I had on hand and it worked out great!
This dish is hearty enough to serve with some cornbread and call it a meal.
- 1 - 2 Tbsp
- hog jowl - thick sliced or 4 slices thick bacon
- 8 oz
- andouille sausage - sliced
- 9 oz
- cooked, smoked ham - i used leftovers from a ham bone
- 1 1/2 - 2 Tbsp
- chunky garlic paste
- 1 medium
- - large onion, chopped
- 1 medium
- jalapeno - diced
- serrano chile, chopped
- 1 lb
- dry black eyes peas - soaked overnight
- 7 c
- 1 1/2 - 2 tsp
- garlic powder
- 2 tsp
- better than buillion chicken flavored soup base
- 1/2 tsp
- ground cayenne pepper
- 1 - 2 tsp
- salt or to taste, depending how salty your meats are
- 1 tsp
- 3 - 4
- bay leaves
How to Make ~ Meaty Black Eyed Peas ~ My Way
- 1Soak time for the beans are not included in over all time it take to prepare these peas.
- 2In a dutch oven over medium heat, add oil. Once shimmery - add ham, hog jowl and Andoille sausage. Cook and stir until browned. About 5 minutes. To this add the onion, garlic, bouillon and spices, stir and add water. Bring this to a boil, then cover and simmer for 1 hour and 30 minutes. Stirring occasionally.
- 3Next, stir in the peas and continue cooking for another hour and 30 minutes or until thickened and beans are tender. Stirring occasionally. Can remove thick slices of jowl or bacon, up to you. I used it mainly for flavor , but hubby made me leave them in. LOL
- 4Serve with other New Years traditions or year round as I will be doing. Goes great with cornbread. Ladled over rice is great as well. Any way you serve them will be sure to please.